Friday 3 September 2010

Listen to them...the children of the night...

Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending Whitby Book Shop, 88 Church Street, Whitby for a combined evening of crime with Sheila Quigley, and I had a fabulous time. Whitby Book Shop is in the beautiful Church Street, the historical shopping street of Old Whitby which leads to the 199 steps that lead up to the ruins of the Abbey. Anyone who knows their history knows that it was on viewing Whitby and the ruins towering over the port that influenced Bram Stoker to have Count Dracula make land fall there when he arrives in England. I could see why Bram was so inspired. Whitby is one of the most picturesque towns I've visited in many a year, an artists and authors wonderland - I wish I'd taken my sketch pad - as well as being truly gothic. When the sun went down and the floodlights picked out the church cresting the rugged clifftops, well I could almost lose myself in the view. It was almost a shame that I had to go to the bookshop at the foot of the the cliffs instead of revelling in the sights. Almost, but not quite. The staff at the bookshop had gone to great lengths to prepare for the event, and I'm indebted to them and to those who attended mine and Sheila's talks for making it such a wonderful venue and event. I enjoyed myself immensely, and have promised .... I'll be back-ack-ack-ack....

As an add on:

Yes, me and my wife made our way up the 199 steps to the Abbey (but it had just shut. D'oh!) Nevertheless the climb was well worth it. I prowled around the ancient grave yard with wind scoured headstones going back as far as the seventeenth century and was spooked out and excited at the same time. Whoever said people died young in those days? There seemed to be a huge number of people living well into their 90s back in the old days. Maybe there's something said for this vampiric attachment to Whitby where people never age?

The superb window display at Whitby Book shop.

3 comments:

David Barber said...

You remembered your camera then?

Been to Whitby twice, albeit sea fishing. It is a beatiful place though. Heartbeat (TV show) country, aparently Would loved to have been there.

Get something sorted out for one up here. Crieff has a great little book shop. ;-)

Regards, mate.

Author said...

Itook this on my phone (just realised that i can email the images to myself and not have to faff about downloading stuff from a camera).

Whitby was spot on, and I haven't done it justice in my quick report. I loved the place. Especially the spooky old graveyard and ruined abbey - dunno what that says about me!

I'd love to come up if people want me. Going to try and sort a mini tour of Scotland in the next few months. Please mention me to your book shop manager.

Lily Childs said...

Whitby sounds idyllic, living up to Stoker's reputation. There's little I enjoy more than wandering through gothic graveyards wearing long robes and flowers in my hair; a cold mist creeping around the tombs and teasing my bare feet...

Great window display! They did you proud.