Sunday 26 April 2009

Heart on my sleeve or in my throat?

Throughout the course of this blog I've tried to approach writing it with as much truth and honesty as I could muster. My intention was to keep readers and other writers hoping to achieve publication up to speed with my adventure approaching publication of my debut novel, and I believe I have done so. It's a steep hill, but it's assailable if you are dogged and determined enough just to keep on keeping on.

Sometimes I've worn my emotions on my sleeve.

I'm now only a couple weeks away from the book hitting the shelves and I have to admit to going through a state of flux where I'm both excited but also very much nervous about how my books will be received.

Some people will love it, some will think it's OK, but inevitably, some will hate it. That's the truth and reality of just about everything. The latter hopefully will be a very small minority. My worry - perhaps not the right word - is that sometimes people who hate something are more vocal than those that are satisfied and their griping can put off readers who would have otherwise enjoyed the book judged on their own opinion.

Dan Brown had some terrible criticism thrown his way - unjustified in my opinion. However, I've just been searching Amazon and seen that Mr Brown's next book is the most thoroughly anticipated new release with the most pre-orders of any book coming out in the next few months. So maybe I'm 'worrying' needlessly. Maybe there is no such thing as bad publicity - just publicity.

OK, that's the worry bit over with...now with the excitement.

It has been pointed out to me by Jeremy Duns, another great debut author, whose book Free Agent is just about to hit the stands, that both our books share a table in Scandinavia's largest bookshop in Sweden. They are there alongside some greats like John Grisham, James Patterson
and Jeffrey Deaver, all giants of our 'thriller' genre. To be found alongside some of my literary heroes is an awesome feeling, I can tell you, and yet another huge peak that I've scaled and conquered.

Foreign readers it seems are getting a preview of my book in the large trade paperback format, before the hardback goes on sale here in the UK or in the US. Don't ask me, I've no idea about the marketing strategies of other countries. Can't wait to hear how the books are doing out there in the big wide world though.

Dead Men's Dust will be on general sale in the UK on Thursday 14th May 2009 and in the USA on Tuesday 19th May 2009.

It's a crazy, exciting time and I'm buzzing as I write this. I'd just like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who has shown an interest for their best wishes and support and for helping me through the process. There are so many I would insult those that I forgot to mention, so I won't even attempt a list - but you all know who you are.

Matt

3 comments:

Paul D Brazill said...

it's a great time!

Author said...

Cheers Paul, it really is. I don't know how I'm going to last the next couple of weeks without going insane!

Unknown said...

Matt,
You already know my thoughts.
Enjoy the LONG ride, mate - you deserve it.
Col