Friday 17 April 2009

Euphoria!


An important moment in any author's career is the first time he/she sees their name in print. Over the years I've seen my by line alongside a few articles in magazines. Fabulous.

Then I've seen my name against articles on the web and along with a few of my unpublished stories on the web. Equally fabulous.

Next I began to see my name on the covers of the various Advanced Readers Editions/Copies of my first novel, and I can't begin to explain how utterly fabulous that was.

Recently I received delivery of some of the UK trade paperback editions of Dead Men's Dust. It was like Christmas and all my birthdays rolled into one. Utterly, utterly fabulous.

But to be honest, all of these paled in comparison when today I felt my first hardback edition between my fingers. There's just something so magical about a hardback bearing your name that is difficult for me to put into words. It's beyond fabulous. It's euphoric.

I'm now looking forward to seeing and feeling the US editions.

Is there another step beyond euphoria? You can bet there is.

There's enlightenment in the knowledge that people are buying and reading my book and enjoying it.

If PRIDE is one of the Seven Deadly Sins then I'm guilty as charged.

For all you budding writers take faith. It could be you.

Matt

6 comments:

Sean Black said...

Very cool, Matt. It's going to FLY off the shelves!

Sean Black

Author said...

Cheers Sean.
Just read about Lockdown on The Big Thrill blog. I think that it's going to fly of the shelves as well. Got to order my copy. Can't wait. Here's to us both!

Sean Black said...

Not forgetting Luigi, without whom none of this would have been possible!

Look forward to hooking up at T-fest in New York. You're going, right?

Author said...

Of course. Without Luigi I'd be nowhere.

Yeah, going to Thrillerfest - looking forward to meeting you. Crazy, huh. Both represented out of the same office but have to travel 3,000 miles to meet up.

Unknown said...

It couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke - well done, Matt.

Author said...

Thanks Col. As ever your support is A-1 and much appreciated.